Sunday, February 5, 2012

Meat: It's what's for dinner

Sam here.
So I know we haven't posted in a wee bit but forgive me. I just finished January term which made me crazy and the thought of one more commitment drove me over the edge.
So, I know it's not quite on the drinking side, but that's okay. I wanted to share a marinade that I discovered and am improving. I got the bright idea the other day that I wanted to cook a meal other than making stupid little three ingredient soups.There's nothing wrong with three ingredient soups- they're easy to make and generally pretty healthy as well as a great fallback and cheap as all get out. NOT THE POINT. Anyway, we had people coming over and I wanted to get back the cooking prowess that I felt I once had. Since we had men on their way, STEAK IT WAS. (Actually, we had a couple of steaks we hadn't cooked yet because I was sick earlier but again, not the point)

I went to the store in search of ingredients. The recipe I found called for a dark beer and I wanted to find a good porter because the smoky flavor would compliment the meat. I picked up a 22 oz of Ninkasi's RenewAle Porter mostly because it was $3ish but also because I knew it was a good porter on tap. Ninkasi generally does really well with everything. Nathan really enjoys just about anything they put out. So, here's how you make it:


Tenderize steak. Really tenderize it.
In a container such as a bowl or a ziplock bag, mix 22- 24 oz of beer, a little brown sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Marinade steak for at least 1 hour. 2 wouldn't hurt.
Season steak with pepper and salt.
Broil for at least 10 min.


I ended up taking my steak out at 10 min because I was freaking out about it catching on fire (actually happened) but I probably could have left them in there for a couple more minutes as they were rather rare. You might try with a stout but I recommend the porter as the smoky flavor adds to the steaks flavor without masking it. I really enjoyed this and may use Black Butte by Deschutes or Dick's Lava Rock Porter next time. The latter has a very silky and smoky flavor that I loved and right out of the bottle! Also- try this on the grill if you get a chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment